..... my not so exciting ventures into gardening, self sufficiency, getting solar electricity & hot water & pretty much life in general in a small country town .....

Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Patch at Present...

Well this is what I've got at the moment.






In the left hand side of the tub are 4 Sugarloaf cabbages & in the right, 3 Cauliflower & 1 Brocoli.







Hiding amongst the mulch at the back are celery seedlings.


There is a mix of Sugarloaf cabbage & cauliflowers in this bed.


In the open bricks at the front are a few Forono beetroot which are supposed to be cylindrical.


Time will tell as this is the first time I've ever grown beetroot.





On left, the more advanced plants are Brussel sprouts. Now normally I would not grow these horrid nasty things but they are a special request from my mother-in-law Ann.


She is still getting her patch going & really enjoys them. Strange woman......fantastic lady but very strange!


At the back are mini cauliflower & at the front mini Leprechaun cabbages.







Next is the rhubarb that just won't quit.


Mum told me that they die down over winter & can be safely transplanted then which is what I would like to do.


Not this sucker!


I harvested about a 1/3 of it last week to stew, thought yes, it's finally going to die back.


Looking at it today, what do I find but more regrowth.......arrrgghh!




The pea patch was a bit (ok well quite a bit) late going in. I'm trialling Melbourne Market dwarf peas on a teepee/trellis.


In front of the peas are more brocoli for Jon.

Brendon reckons I can't grow enough vegies to feed 1 person let alone the 5 in our family (7 if you include Ann & her husband Les).


So I just have to prove him wrong!






Along the fence are the potatoes that I missed last harvest.
Yep they are covered in old lucerne hay to hopefully provide some protection from the frosts.
Our first one was in the 2nd week of April & there are plenty more of them to come.

You can just see their tops except for the big one on the right. It's just too big.
There are 6 more Sugarloaf cabbages towards the front & the the vine is a Sultana grape in desparate need of pruning.



Last but not least is the wasteland which will become the main summer growing area.


There will be four 8x4 raised beds constructed from railway sleepers.

Now just to enlist the aid of Brendon (19yo son)
to throw a few sleepers around.
Preferably where I need them.....hmmm... is it ok to bribe him with beer?

No comments:

Post a Comment